Canadians often associate The Royal Canadian Legion with Remembrance ceremonies and events. Through these initiatives, we honour and remember Canada’s fallen Veterans and help ensure Canadians never forget.
For many, our most widely known activity is the annual Poppy campaign that leads up to Remembrance Day. Legion members and other volunteers distribute thousands of Poppies, and gratefully accept donations to raise money in support of Veterans and their families.
Most importantly, take a moment now and then to reflect on the freedoms and peace in your life, and to remember the men and women who served and sacrificed for all we have today.
Since 1923 the observance of Armistice Day had been combined with Thanksgiving Day. However in 1930 Branch 124 held a memorial service at the Township cenotaph in Queenston. In 1931, at the urging of the Canadian Legion, November 11 was set aside as the official day of observance for Armistice Day.
There are many opportunities available to anyone wishing to show their appreciation for those who served, including:
-Becoming a Legion member to support Veterans year-round
-Making a donation to the Legion’s Poppy Trust Fund
-Saying “Thank you” to a Veteran
-Wearing a Poppy
-Planting Poppy seeds or growing a garden of Remembrance
-Visiting a cenotaph
-Wearing or displaying commemorative items from the Poppy Store
-Visiting the Canadian War Museum or local history museums
-Volunteering to help Veterans, and more!
The cenotaph in the center of Queen St. is frequently (but incorrectly) referred to as the Clock Tower. After the first World War, our Citizen soldiers were buried near where they fell on the battlefields of Europe, The National Government offered grants to the localities, to create a permanent reminder of their lost sons.
Through 1919 and 1920 the debate in town was what type of memorial was best. They formed a committee of 27 prominent towns folk. General C. Nelles, who lost a son in this war, favoured a memorial hospital, George Rand and other thought a unique feature, like a clock tower was needed. Two years later the whole town voted. 632 votes were cast, half in favour of a clock tower, others voted for a hospital or a sports field. On June 23 1922, this cenotaph was officially unveiled by Lt. Governor H.T. Cockshutt. 4 years later the Memorial in Queenston would be erected.
After the first World War, our Citizen soliders were buried near where they fell on the battlefield of Europe, Again, the Government offered grants to the localities, to create a permanent reminder of their lost sons. In 1926 the Memorial in Queenston was erected to honour those from the township who were lost. The names of those lost in World War Two were added in 1947.
As our veterans pass, this flag is lowered as a salute. This has become our symbol and our rally point to remember all of our losses.
Unfortunately, the below members of Branch 124 have passed on in 2020:
William Walker Jr.
Best, Robert F.
Currie, WM. Perry
Houghton, Tom Hadley
Houghton, Robert C.
Nisbet, Walter L.
Ryan, Gordon B.
Shepherd, Edwin C.
Thompson, Charles T.
Thompson, E. Winnett
kk Cowl, Albert
Green, Adelburt S.
Kelson, John M.
Nelles, Norman C