In 1926 various Canadian veterans' groups decided to amalgamate and the following year the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League received its charter. The constitution of the Canadian Legion established a non-sectarian, non-political organization with a broad range of goals which included the welfare of veterans and their dependents, the commemoration of service rendered by members of the military as well as service to general society.
During the initial stage in the development of branch 124, organizational structures were established and the group began the activities which were the special objects of the Legion, establishing traditions of service which endure to the present day.
to form a local post of the Canadian Legion. Under the leadership of Charles M Nelles the thirty-one WW1 veterans and ex-servicemen in attendance elected the first executive of branch 124 which consisted of president CM Nelles, first vice president A.J. McClelland, second vice president Dr.A.B. Greenwood, secretary-treasurer D.A.R. Rodgers and three executive members: E.W. Field, R.L. Griffith and Isaac Lavell.
Branch 124 held five meetings in its inaugural year and began immediately to establish the structure needed to achieve its goals of remembrance and service to veterans and the community. At the second meeting, held in the Mayor's office, a constitution committee was formed and later that year a set of bylaws was accepted. Elections were held in October and the social committee was authorized to rent and furnish a club room.
Late in the year, in an effort to expand membership still further, a proposal was made to allow social members who were sponsored by three members and approved by two-thirds of the club membership. These individuals would receive all privileges of the club rooms except during business meetings for a $5.00 annual fee. Originally set at $4.00, dues for ordinary members were reduced to $2.00 for the remainder of the year. Born in the "Roaring Twenties", a period of economic prosperity which followed the hard times of the postwar era and the early 1920s and preceded the Depression. Branch 124 in its inaugural year boasted a healthy bank balance of $87.42. In addition to membership fees the branch had received funds for club room furniture from My Ryan as well as a cheque from the local branch of the Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire (IODE).
As part of Armistice Day observances the Legion cooperated with the IODE on the poppy campaign and laid wreaths at the Town and Township cenotaphs and the Polish burial plot. Branch 124 sponsored social events such as cribbage and billiard tournaments for members and a community Christmas tree and in doing so established high standards of service which have become the trademark of the Legion.
of its existence with an expanded slate of officers and an increased number of committees.
Nelles presided over an executive which had been reelected and enlarged by the addition of E. Richardson, L. Warner and J. Mathews who was appointed Sergeant at Arms.
At the twelve executive and monthly meetings held during 1929 the system of organizational control was made clear: decisions made at executive meetings were worded as recommendations which were approved or defeated at subsequent monthly or general meetings.
Use of the club rooms warranted the hiring of a janitor and eventually the Branch began to look for other quarters. In December the executive committee entered negotiations for the rental of the Curtis property.